JACKSONVILLE, Ala. – With two regular season Ohio Valley Conference games remaining and the OVC tournament field still in limbo, the Eastern Kentucky University women’s basketball will look to pick up a critical win at Jacksonville State University on Wednesday.
Wednesday’s tip is scheduled for 8 p.m. from the Pete Mathews Coliseum.
WHAT TO KNOW
– After a 78-64 loss at Tennessee State on Saturday, the Colonels have dropped their last two contests.
– Despite Saturday’s loss to TSU, four Colonels scored in double figures for the fourth straight game.
– For senior guard Alexus Cooper, Wednesday’s game will mark the 100th of her career. The Rocky Mount, N.C. native has started all 27 games this season.
– Jalen O’Bannon (13.7 ppg), Alexus Cooper (12.8 ppg), and Naylor (12.2 ppg) rank in the OVC’s top-20 in scoring. Meanwhile, O’Bannon’s 7.0 rebounds-per-game ranks 10th in the league and Naylor’s 6.0 rpg is 15th. Naylor (45.6 percent) also ranks in the conference’s top-20 in field goal percentage.
– Eastern Kentucky leads the all-time series, 19-11, over the Gamecocks. The Colonels are 2-5 against JSU with Rick Pietri as the coach. EKU is 1-2 at the Pete during that span.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– JSU (12-14, 5-9 OVC) leads the conference in scoring defense, allowing a league low 61.2 ppg. The Gamecocks hold their opponents to 39.4 percent from the floor; second best in the OVC. JSU held the Colonels to a season low 49 points in their first matchup of the season, a 54-49, win for the Gamecocks.
– Senior guard Briana Benson leads the Gamecocks with 12.1 ppg and 5.2 rpg.
– Junior Tyler Phelion’s 7.2 rpg ranks ninth in the league.
– EKU closes out the regular season Saturday at McBrayer Arena as it hosts Tennessee Tech University. The Colonels will honor their seniors prior to Saturday’s game. Tip is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.